Snagov Lake covering 576 ha and 16.5 km long, is located 35 km north of the Capital city. It is considered one of the largest lateral lakes in the Romanian Plain. It is ideal for fishing (one can fish common bream, asp, catfish, carp,) and for nautical sports lovers.
The Snagov Forest
The forest (1,470 ha)-declared a nature reserve-surrounding Snagov Lake is a remnant of the Vlăsia Woods. It is made up of oak, ash and centuries-old linden trees, some over 30 m high. The area has been developed into a park. Snagov Park, on the western shore of the lake, may be regarded as a mini resort. With its cobbled or paved lanes, shady places to rest, children’s playgrounds, sports fields, restaurants, picnic spots and gift shops.
The public pool
The Snagov public pool has a long fine sandy beach, along with green areas shaded by trees. The grounds include cabins and locker rooms, showers, a pier where you can hire rowboats, speedboats, pedals and water skiing equipment. Small cruise ships and speedboats stop here too. You can dive in the lake or cycle all around it. The lake is transformed at the end of summer when Indian water lilies acclimatized here are in bloom.
Outside Snagov Village, Artha Park covers seven hectares, with sports fields, a recreation area with garden kiosks, a bar and grill, and two tents for weddings and luxury parties. Besides the off road routes for cycling and horse riding lessons, the main attraction is kayaking through the white and scarlet water lilies along the water channel flowing into the Snagov Lake.
The church of the old Snagov Monastery stands on an island in the north part of the lake, probably built in the 14 th century by Mircea the Elder and rebuilt by Wladyslaw II and Vlad the Impaler. It was considered one of the largest and most beautiful monasteries in Vlad the Impaler’s time. There are still legends about the treasure possibly hidden in the underground labyrinths. It is said that after fighting the Ottomans, the Impaler’s body was secretly buried near the monastery. Which is enclosed by walls like a fortress.
Today’s church of the Monastery, of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was built between 1517 and 1521 by Neagoe Basarab. It was an important cultural center. In 1643, during Matei Basarab’s reign, a printing press was brought to Snagov. Under Constantine Brâncoveanu, the abbot of the monastery was the scholar Anthim the Iberian, who founded the first press in Romania.