The Triumphal Arch
The Triumphal Arch, situated at the intersection of Kiseleff road and the Constantin Prezan, Alexandru Averescu and Alexandru Constantinescu boulevards, near Herăstrău Park. The Triumphal Arch was built in 1922 to celebrate the Romanian Army’s victories in the First World War.
Originally made of wood clad in stucco, the arch was rebuilt in 1935-36. Using reinforced concrete and granite, under the supervision of architect Petre Antonescu. The carvings and other stone decorations were created by Ion Jalea, Corneliu Medrea, Frederick Storck, Dimitrie Paciurea, Constantin Baraschi and Mac Constantinescu.
The Triumphal Arch houses a museum with exhibits. Relating to the Great War for National Reunification and the heraldry of the great boyar families. There are also period images of the monument and the Great Union of 1918. Access is only on national holidays, including Romania’s National Day and Army Day. When the museum is open, the top of the twenty-seven-meter arch provides splendid views of the surrounding area.